Customer Zone

Below is a list of some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) regarding Fork Lift Truck Operations.   Q1: Do I need to train my Forklift Driver?   The ‘Provision and use of work equipment regulations 1998’ requires all employers who use and supervises the use of work equipment to have training on how to use the equipment, risks involved and precautions to be taken. Employers should never allow anybody to operate a forklift unless they have successfully completed basic training and testing.     Q2: How old must I be to drive a Fork Lift?   Operators must be 16 years of age unless they are working in the dockyards where they must be 18 or over.     Q3: What is LOLER?   Loler stands for Lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations 1998 and it applies to all lifting equipment including second-hand, leased and new equipment. It includes regulations that specify management should plan properly any lifting operations involving a lift truck, supervise them properly and make sure they are carried out in a safe manner. The Loler is incorporated in the Thorough Inspection.     Q4: How often should a Fork Lift Truck be inspected?   Operators should do daily checks on the truck before they start working with it at the begging of their shift.     Q5: Do Operators need to be trained to drive a Fork Lift?   Yes, it is a legal requirement that all forklift truck drivers have recognised training for the type of truck that they are operating. Operators should be re-trained within 3-5 years.     Q6: Can I drive my Fork Lift on the road?   If the truck is traveling on the road for more than 1000 yards then it must comply with Construction and Use Regulation or have Type Approval. This involves all sort of legal requirements and probable quite major modifications to the truck. If the truck is travelling less than 1000 yards then there is special disoensation and the truck can be driven with little modificatin but it must be registered and insured. Wherever the forklift is travelling there must be enough overhead clearance and things like road humps should be avoided, as they are unsuitable for forklifts. It must be well lit wherever the forklift is travelling and if possible avoid pedestrians. All employees should be trained on the lift truck movements if it is used on the road and a second person should be provided to help with traffic. Also the driver must hold a current full British Driving Licence.     Q7: Do I require a licence for overseas operations?   Some countries do issue licenses to fork lift truck operators however in the UK there is no such thing. As a result a fork lift truck licence in any other contry is not valid in the UK.     Q8: What is PUWER?   PUWER replaces the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1992 and carries forward these existing requirements with a few changes and additions, for example the inspection of work equipment and specific new requirements for mobile equipment. Many aspects of PUWER should therefore be familiar to you. The Regulations require risks to people’s health and safety, from equipment that they use at work, to be prevented or controlled. In addition to the requirements of PUWER, lifting equipment is also subject to the requirements if the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998.